Shoppers evacuated as blaze breaks out near Tesco superstore as locals warned to stay away amid fears of ‘toxic fumes’

Shoppers evacuated as blaze breaks out near Tesco superstore as locals warned to stay away amid fears of ‘toxic fumes’

SHOPPERS have been evacuated after a massive blaze broke out near a Tesco superstore with locals warned to stay away amid fears of toxic fumes. Emergency services raced to the scene on an industrial estate in Oldham, Greater Manchester, earlier this morning. A huge blaze has broken out near a Tesco superstore in Greater Manchester Credit: X/GPSJ Shoppers have been evacuated amid fears of toxic fumes Shocking footage circulating on social media, taken from a Tesco superstore car park, shows a towering plume of black smoke billowing into the sky. Local residents have been urged avoid the area and to keep their windows and doors closed while a cordon is also in place. Sign up for The Sun newsletter Thank you! The blaze appears to be just behind the supermarket with ten fire crews descending on the scene to battle the inferno. The store has been temporarily closed while a specialist environmental unit has arrived with reports there are toxic materials at the location. People have been evacuated from the area amid reports there are toxic fumes coming from the industrial site. A spokesperson for Tesco said: “Our Greenfield Superstore is temporarily closed due to a fire nearby. We apologise for the inconvenience.” Shocking photos show firefighters tackling the flames on a hydraulic platform from above. In a statement, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: “Just after 7.45am on Sunday 16 August, fire crews were called to reports of a fire at an industrial building on Chew Valley Road, Greenfield.” Most read in The Sun “10 fire engines and a number of specialist appliances from across Greater Manchester are now in attendance, with firefighters working hard to bring the fire under control. “Due to the amount of smoke, nearby residents are advised to keep their windows and doors closed. “A cordon is in place and people should avoid the area if possible.” The Sun has contacted Greater Manchester Police for comment. More to follow… For the latest news on this story keep checking back at The Sun Online Thesun.co.uk is your go-to destination for the best celebrity news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video. Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesun and follow us on TikTok @TheSun. 1 comment1

Original Source

Read the full article at Thesun →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.