Just as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s departure from the UK six years ago came as a complete surprise, so too is their shock announcement they now intend to return.Their unilateral decision could fairly be said to have blind-sided the royals. King Charles was only informed on Sunday and is said not to have been involved in the decision making. No mention was made when Harry, Meghan and their two children visited Charles at his private home at Highgrove last month.Yet in less than two weeks, the Sussexes will be installed in a private non-royal residence, somewhere outside London, with Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, already enrolled in British schools.The reasons for this spectacular U-turn, which was simultaneously broken by four media outlets in the UK, US and Australia on Wednesday night, have not been spelled out. So, what has changed?The couple left the UK amid accusations over media intrusion and attacks, especially on Meghan. Their relationships with senior royals – Charles and William in particular – was severely strained. They subsequently cited, in TV interviews and Harry’s memoir, Spare, the lack of palace support for Meghan. And their dreams of half-in-half-out royal roles had been firmly dashed by Queen Elizabeth II.Harry visits London in July to attend a warm-up event for the Invictus Games next year. Photograph: Justin Tallis/AFP/Getty ImagesSix years on, such problems have not gone away – if anything they seem more firmly entrenched. In addition, they face the expensive headache of having lost taxpayer-funded security, which was afforded to them when they were still working royals.Relations with some sections of the British media are at an even lower ebb. Having successfully taken legal action against Mirror Group Newspapers as well as the publishers of the Sun and News of the World, Harry returns having just comprehensively lost his latest courtroom battle against the publishers of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday over unproven allegations of unlawful information gathering.There appears to be some form of reconciliation with Charles, yet there were times over the past six years when, Harry has said, his father did not return his calls. Palace officials have been cautious throughout about private information leaking, given Harry’s willingness to talk so openly and so publicly.While it is “great on a personal level” for Charles to have more private access to his younger son and grandchildren, it will “take a long time to establish a reasonable degree of trust”, said Joe Little, the managing editor of Majesty Magazine. “People will still wonder: do Harry and Meghan have another media deal set up?“It was six years plus in the fracturing. It’s not going to be a case of six weeks and everything is forgiven and forgotten. It’s going to be a lengthy process.”The relationship with William presents an even more significant challenge, with the brothers now estranged. The former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt suggests William, the future king, would be “apoplectic” at the Sussexes’ return, and “rival courts” being established.William and Harry, seen here at Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral in 2022, are reportedly no longer speaking to one another. Photograph: Peter Nicholls/Reuters“If there is a rival court there is very little that anybody can do about it,” said Little, adding: “For mischief-making media, it’s a great headline story, this fractious relationship between William and his brother, and is it going to repair.”skip past newsletter promotionafter newsletter promotionGiven no details, it is assumed that issues over security – which stuck so much in Harry’s craw he had said his wife and children could not visit the UK without Home Office-funded protection – is no longer the issue it was for the couple, who have funded their own while in the US. The royals famously never comment on security, and the UK prime minister, Andy Burnham, would only say it was a “private matter” for the couple when asked, and would not be drawn on any details.The fact nothing of their return was mentioned to the king last month could indicate this was a speedy decision made by the couple, and perhaps down to where they desired their children to be educated.Undoubtedly, Harry has missed the UK. In the US, while involved with the deals the couple struck with Netflix and Spotify, these had seemed more Meghan-oriented projects. Harry was prominent when it came to his UK charities, and in particular his beloved Invictus Games, who are delighted at news of his return.Perhaps, as another former BBC royal correspondent, Jennie Bond, speculated, this time Meghan is “taking one for the team”.The couple will retain their homes in California and Portugal. Meghan will continue to run her lifestyle brand As Ever from their new base. But in embarking on their new life, there will be undoubted teething problems. And as Little points out: “There are far more questions than answers.”
‘Rival courts’: Prince Harry’s surprise UK return may provoke royal spot of bother
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Theguardian →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.