New hosepipe ban comes into force for another 1.4MILLION people tomorrow as over 70% of England in drought

New hosepipe ban comes into force for another 1.4MILLION people tomorrow as over 70% of England in drought

A NEW hosepipe ban has been announced for around 1.4million Brits, as vast parts of the country continue to face restrictions. This is the first time the water company has enforced these rules in 50 years as numerous parts of England continue to suffer from drought. Another water company has introduced a hosepipe ban to over one million British customers Credit: Alamy Wessex Water has introduced its first hosepipe ban since 1976, with 1.4million Brits across Bath, Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire set to be impacted. The company’s chief executive, Ruth Jefferson, said that the decision came from a combination of increased water demand and continuous dry weather. Sign up for The Sun newsletter Thank you! Jefferson said: “After 50 years without a hosepipe ban in the Wessex Water region – the first since the famous drought of 1976 – this isn’t a decision we’ve made lightly and we’re sorry for the inconvenience it will cause. “While we’re not running out of water for essential use, our challenge has been moving water through the network quickly enough to meet these record levels of demand.” Wessex Water has confirmed that the hosepipe ban will be enforced from 0.01am on Tuesday, August 18, with restrictions applying from then. This comes after weeks of dry weather conditions have plunged nearly three-quarters of England and the entirety of Wales into drought, and wildfires have ravaged parts of the UK. Parts of Bath, Somerset, Dorset and Wiltshire now come under the restrictions Credit: Wessex Water Full list of regions affected by Wessex Water's new hosepipe ban The restrictions will be enforced from 0.01am on Tuesday, August 18 Bath Dorset Somerset Wiltshire Brits faced soaring temperatures during the fifth heatwave of the summer last week, with the hottest day of the year recorded at 38.1C in Kew Gardens in London. Customers supplied by Wessex Water join another 27million Brits that are under hosepipe ban restrictions by eight other water companies across the UK. Most read in The Sun Under a temporary use ban, customers cannot use a hosepipe, sprinkler, or pressure washer for various activities, such as watering plants or filling up hot tubs. Anyone caught breaking the rules can face a £1,000 fine, unless an approved exemption or loophole is in place. If your water supplier is affected, it is important to check their website to find out if your postcode has been impacted by temporary use bans. Blue Badge holders, and those on the Priority Services Register, are exempt from the rules as well as those who require the use of a hose for a medical purpose. Comment now

Original Source

Read the full article at Thesun →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.