FACT CHECK: Claire Castro quote blaming heavy floods on blocked drains is fake

FACT CHECK: Claire Castro quote blaming heavy floods on blocked drains is fake

The original image contained a disclaimer stating that it was satire, which was removed in numerous reposts of the graphic PCO Undersecretary Claire Castro did not make the claim that flooding was caused by intentionally blocked drainage systems intended to blame the Marcos administration. The claim originated from a now-deleted satirical Facebook post, and users reposted the claim and removed the disclaimer at the bottom of the graphic. The recent flooding was attributed to the intensified southwest monsoon and Tropical Depression Neneng, with government agencies actively responding to the situation. This is AI-generated. Read the article for full context. Report any errors. Claim: Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Claire Castro said that the recent heavy flooding in the country was caused by drainage systems that were intentionally blocked, in an apparent attempt to pin the blame on the Marcos administration. Rating: FALSE Why we fact-checked this: The claim was posted by the Facebook page Nick Vlog on August 17. As of writing, it has amassed more than 6,600 reactions and 1,200 comments. The post features a quote card of Castro supposedly saying, “Ang nangyaring baha sa iba’t ibang lugar ay sinadya. May naglagay ng takip sa mga kanal para bumaha at isisi sa administration. Ma-konsensiya naman kayo!” (The floods that occurred across different areas in the country were intentional. Some people placed covers over drainage systems to cause flooding and blame it on the administration. You should feel guilty!) Another version of the quote, posted across different Facebook groups, cites Castro supposedly saying that she would find the people responsible for intentionally blocking the canals. Social media users criticized Castro for her alleged statement. The facts: Castro did not make such an allegation. The graphic originated from a now-deleted post by a Facebook page describing itself as a satire page. Users who reposted the graphic cropped out the disclaimer located at the bottom of the original post. (READ: SATIRE VS FAKE NEWS: Can you tell the difference?) There are no official government transcripts or credible reports showing Castro making the alleged statement. On August 18, Castro said that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is continuously monitoring the situation and has ordered a swift response to ensure the safety of people affected by the habagat (southwest monsoon). In her most recent statement on August 19, Castro assured the public that various government agencies are working to assess conditions and assist residents affected by flooding. Intensified habagat: The recent downpour and flood experienced in Luzon and some parts of Visayas were caused by the intensified southwest monsoon and the formation of Tropical Depression Neneng. Though it weakened last weekend, the monsoon once again strengthened during the third week of August. This led to the suspension of on-site classes and a shift to alternative work arrangements for government employees in the National Capital Region and several provinces from August 17 to 20. As of August 20, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration reported that most areas affected by the habagat this week will see better weather in the coming days. However, Northern Luzon and Central Luzon, Batanes, Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, La Union, Pangasinan, Zambales, and Bataan may still experience moderate to heavy rains. Castro fact-checks: Rappler has previously debunked claims made online involving the Palace Press Officer: FACT CHECK: Claire Castro quote on Ivana Alawi helping slain driver’s family is fake FACT CHECK: No gov’t order to seize homes without solar panel permits FACT CHECK: Claire Castro statement on Marcos’ ‘failing’ health is fake FACT CHECK: Claire Castro quote dismissing scrutiny of Marcos’ confidential funds is fake FACT CHECK: Castro did not call on Duterte clan to quit gov’t posts to reverse ICC ruling – Lourence Angelo Marcellana/Rappler.com Keep us aware of suspicious Facebook pages, groups, accounts, websites, articles, or photos in your network by contacting us at factcheck@rappler.com. Let us battle disinformation one Fact Check at a time. How does this make you feel? Loading

Original Source

Read the full article at Rappler →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.