Coalition says antisemitism royal commission should be extended to demand answers from PM, Wong, others

Coalition says antisemitism royal commission should be extended to demand answers from PM, Wong, others

August 18, 2026 — 12:56pmThe Coalition has called on the Albanese government to extend the deadline for the Bondi royal commission beyond the one-year anniversary, demanding that government ministers, muslim clerics and high-profile figures from the arts be called before the inquiry to account for rising antisemitism.As the commission’s final day of hearings approaches, Liberal MP Julian Leeser told parliament on Tuesday that the commission had been unable to do its job properly without government ministers appearing, such as Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, the attorney-general and the ministers for education, home affairs and foreign affairs.Liberal MP Julian Leeser speaks in the House of Representatives on Tuesday. Dominic LorrimerHe also said there were more questions to ask of leaders of arts institutions, universities, protest movements and the human rights commission – some of whom have already appeared – as well as people such as former Coalition treasurer Josh Frydenberg, who was told he would not be called.“This week is the final sitting week of the Royal Commission on Antisemitism and Social Cohesion,” Leeser said during a suspension of standing orders early Tuesday afternoon.“The royal commission is, for many Australians, the only chance we will have as a nation to properly expose and address the antisemitism that has become so prevalent in this country and which diminishes us all.“But it is a royal commission that finishes in a matter of days, and as it stands, it is a royal commission with unfinished business. The window to debate the issue is closing.”Leeser, a Jewish MP from north-west Sydney, has been vociferous in his condemnation of the Albanese government over its handling of antisemitism in the community since the Hamas attacks spurred Israel’s war on Gaza in 2023.Naveed Akram and his father, Sajid, are accused of carrying out the December 14 Bondi Beach attack that claimed 15 innocent lives after being radicalised by IS propaganda. The Albanese government announced the royal commission into the Bondi tragedy and antisemitism after considerable political and social pressure in the weeks after the attack.Commissioner Virginia Bell was tasked with delivering a final report by December 14 this year. From the day it was announced, the reporting date was seen as a tight deadline.The commission has held nine blocks of hearings since May, covering the nature of antisemitism, universities and their encampments, as well as a range of public services. Other sessions focused on the terrorism threat levels and security arrangements at the Bondi event, law enforcement coordination, and the safety of the Jewish community.The commission has heard from Jewish Australians as well as ASIO director-general Mike Burgess, law enforcement, counter-terrorism experts, some high-level public servants, several university vice-chancellors and students.But Leeser said it had not gone far enough. He named several people in the arts and cultural sector who should appear, including writers Clementine Ford and John Menadue, as well as the heads of Creative Australia. He said former vice-chancellors Genevieve Bell from ANU and Duncan Maskell from the University o Melbourne should appear.He also told parliament that Greens senators Mehreen Faruqi and Jenny Leong, who have attended pro-Palestine protests, should be called, as should Sydney protest leader Josh Lees and preacher Wissam Haddad. He said that the human rights commission, which has appeared, had “not been asked in any serious way to account for their failure to stand up for Australian Jews”.Finally, Leeser said Albanese, Tony Burke, Jason Clare, Michelle Rowland and Penny Wong should “show the courage and commitment to front the Royal Commission and be accountable”.“Answer questions. Explain your decisions and actions in the two years leading up to Bondi. Let the commission and the public be the judge,” he said.Coalition shadow treasurer Tim Wilson spoke in support of Leeser afterwards.Labor did not support the debate being had in the House of Representatives, but Burke spoke afterwards to say he respected both Leeser and Wilson’s arguments.He said the division over having the debate did not signal any division within the parliament about the horror of antisemitism.“I wanted to pay respect to both members who’ve spoken, and to respect absolutely that while there are differences in terms of whether the royal commission should be extended or whether it should keep to its initial timeline, there is no division within this parliament, about the horrific nature of antisemitism,” he said.Burke said the horrors of the Bondi attack and antisemitism in Australia both before and since that moment were “unilaterally rejected by every member of this house”.“While there is a difference in the process, I don’t want to offer anything other than respect to the members for the arguments that they’ve just put,” he said.Cut through the noise of federal politics with news, views and expert analysis. Subscribers can sign up to our weekly Inside Politics newsletter.From our partners

Original Source

Read the full article at Smh →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.