Charles and Prince William hold 'Balmoral summit': Royals gather to discuss Harry and Meghan's return to Britain - as Sussexes face backlash over prospect of £5m security bill

Charles and Prince William hold 'Balmoral summit': Royals gather to discuss Harry and Meghan's return to Britain - as Sussexes face backlash over prospect of £5m security bill

King Charles and Prince William are holding a 'Balmoral summit' as the royal family gather to discuss Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's surprise return to Britain.The Prince of Wales has been on a summer holiday at the Aberdeenshire estate with his wife Kate and their children Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.They are joining Charles and Camilla and a series of other royals for the annual trip to the Highlands, following the monarch's arrival on Tuesday for his summer break.Zara and Mike Tindall were spotted walking to Balmoral's gates that day with Peter Phillips and his new wife Harriet Sperling to watch the official welcoming ceremony.The Tindalls' children Lena and Mia were also seen, along with Peter's two children Savannah and Isla from his first wife Autumn Kelly; and Harriet's daughter Georgina.The royals were at Balmoral when news broke publicly on Wednesday night that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were moving back to Britain after six years in the US.The King was told of his youngest son's return just three days earlier on Sunday, while Harry's brother William was also informed in advance of the announcement.But the news will have been a shock, given sources insist the topic was not raised or discussed when Charles and Camilla hosted the Sussexes at Highgrove in early July.Other members of the inner royal circle would have also been surprised, given they are all said to have been unaware that the couple had been planning a return. A welcoming ceremony for King Charles III as he arrives at the Balmoral estate on Tuesday King Charles III meets well-wishers following the Balmoral welcoming ceremony on Tuesday Zara and Mike Tindall at Balmoral on Tuesday with Peter Phillips and his wife Harriet Sperling to watch the ceremony. The Tindalls' children Lena and Mia were seen, along with Peter's two children Savannah and Isla from his first wife Autumn Kelly ; and Harriet's daughter Georgina The Tindall and Phillips families are seen leaving after the ceremony at Balmoral on TuesdayOne point to discuss will be questions over who will pay for the Sussexes' security in the UK, given the family are set to live in a non-royal residence outside of London.Decisions about whether taxpayers will foot the bill for their security still remain unanswered, as does the exact reason for the couple's decision to relocate.They have already enrolled Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in British schools, and the children will likely need a form of security given their high-profile nature.But Harry has faced a protracted legal battle with the Home Office over the security arrangements for him and his family while in the UK, after his level of protection changed when he stepped down as a working royal and moved to the US.In January 2020, the duke and duchess announced they intended to step back as 'senior' members of the royal family, become financially independent, still support Elizabeth II, but split their time between the UK and North America.The late Queen ruled at the famous 'Sandringham Summit', which was convened in Norfolk to resolve the crisis, that the couple could not be half in and half out.By March 2020, Harry and Meghan had set up a permanent home in California, officially stepped down as senior royals and stopped using their HRH styles.Now, Harry's return to the UK could cost taxpayers up to £5million a year – with Dai Davies, the Metropolitan Police's former head of royalty protection, describing it today as an 'incredible expensive scenario'.He told ITV's Good Morning Britain: 'The only way I can see it now happening if the security intelligence and the threat assessment both from terrorism and from fixated individuals would warrant you and I paying what will be an incredible expensive scenario for protecting him, his wife, his children, their schooling and all his adventures when he's going out making money for himself.'Prime Minister Andy Burnham would not be drawn on Harry and Meghan's security arrangements in the UK, saying the funding for it was a 'private matter'.At the end of June, Harry was still waiting for a review by the Risk Management Board, part of the process by which the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) rules on his security requirements – and he and his security detail were working to try to ensure his July visit could take place safely. Individual decisions on protective security for key public figures, including members of the royal family, are made by Ravec, which includes the Home Office, Metropolitan Police and Royal Household, which advises an independent chairperson. But an ex-cabinet minister told the Daily Mail it would be difficult for the public to swallow if the burden fell on taxpayers.The former minister said: 'The hard-pressed British taxpayer has been forced to watch an unedifying circus and spectacle around Harry for far too long. It was first and foremost a family fall-out but, secondly, it has been a display of flagrant entitlement.'They predicted that Ravec would eventually be required to look again at the Sussexes' case, adding: 'It is right that Ravec will, most likely, go through all the due diligence.'His Majesty will be quite extensively consulted, I have no doubt. Ravec will be under some pressure here… they will consider what liabilities there may be if something were to go wrong. They will not want anything coming back on them.'A security source said round-the-clock protection for a family of four 'could easily run to millions a year, perhaps between £3million and £5million'.The Prince and Princess of Wales have not reacted publicly to the news of the Sussexes' return.William – the future king – is estranged from his brother following Harry's controversial claims about the royal family in the wake of Megxit.But a source close to Harry told Sussex-friendly publication People last night that his return will provide the 'best opportunity' for a reconciliation.The source added: 'It would never happen with him in America. This gives them opportunity to try and mend that bridge.'Confirming there had been 'no contact' between the brothers, the source also said: 'Catherine may step into that breach and try to help, too, because she knows how important family is and how important Harry is to William.'She would want to see that healed, as any wife would. This gives them opportunity to try and mend that bridge.' The Duke of Sussex in Washington on Wednesday for discussions about supporting veterans Prince Harry and Meghan Markle visit the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne in April King Charles with Harry at Windsor Castle after Queen Elizabeth II's death in September 2022 The Princess of Wales, the Prince of Wales and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex walk to meet members of the public at Windsor Castle following the death of Queen Elizabeth II in 2022The Sussexes decamped to California more than six years ago amid the turbulent Megxit crisis, which was followed by ongoing family fallouts and a barrage of accusations fired at the Prince and Princess of Wales and the King and Queen.Charles is believed to be glad to be able to spend more time with the Sussex family, but remains adamant they will not be working royals, and there is no half-in, half-out option.The source close to Harry also said: 'He will want to see his sons together over time. This is the best opportunity we have seen in recent years.'Archie and Lilibet are expected to start at their new schools in early September.There will be no photographs of the children when they start school and on their birthdays as for working royals, it is understood.The duchess will continue to run her lifestyle brand, As Ever, from their new base – and the Sussexes are keeping their homes in California and Portugal.The departure from the US had raised questions over what will happen to their nine-bedroom Montecito mansion, which they purchased for $14.75million (£10.8million) from Russian tycoon Sergey Grishin on June 18, 2020.But the Daily Mail understands that despite the huge cost of maintaining the Montecito property and its grounds, Harry and Meghan have no plans to sell up.The 14,563-square-foot home, known as 'The Chateau', sits on 5.4 acres of land and boasts a swimming pool, a tennis court and immaculate gardens.They also own a £6.3million villa on Portugal's idyllic Melides coast, and are set to keep this too.Meanwhile only 21 per cent of Britons are in favour of Prince Harry and Meghan returning to the UK.That was the damning result of a YouGov poll of 5,810 adults yesterday, with 45 per cent unsure whether they wanted the couple back.Another poll taken last month showed both Harry and his wife are viewed unfavourably by the public.Only 22 per cent of Britons view Meghan positively, while 65 per cent hold an unfavourable view. Prince Harry performed slightly better – with 33 per cent seeing him positively and 58 per cent negatively.Opinion towards the duke has improved over the last year, with his positive rating up six points and his negative rating down five points since May 2025.The only royal less popular than Meghan is Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, at just 2 per cent positive and 92 per cent negative.The Prince of Wales is the most popular royal on 76 per cent, followed by his wife Catherine on 74 per cent. King Charles is on 62 per cent.

Original Source

Read the full article at Dailymail →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.